Here are suggested itineraries to consider when planning your group tour to Iowa!
Click for maps, and to print.
It Takes a Village
Day 1: Cedar Rapids
Tour Time - 7 hours
- Begin your day in historic CzechVillage located in Cedar Rapids with a 30 min tour of a historic Catholic church taking in the beauty of statues, stained glass and ceiling medallions before heading to the National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library.
- Demonstration of koláce-making by local Czech bakers. Enjoy fresh baked koláce (a fruit-filled Czech pastry) and coffee for mid-morning break. Time is approx. 30-45 min.
- Tour the museum's exhibit gallery, featuring Rising Above: The Story of a People and the Flood. This original, innovative exhibition about the Czech immigrants to Cedar Rapids, their historic neighborhoods, and how the epic 2008 flood affected these areas is impactful and dynamic. A story not to be missed, and never forgotten.
- The Museum Store showcases irresistible samplings of Czech & Slovak items both domestic and imported. Group tour rate $5/person.
- Savor a traditional Czech meal served buffet style for lunch. Choose between sauerbraten, pork loin, or chicken paprika, braised cabbage, perogies with red paprika sauce, au gratin corn, koláce, salad with choice of three dressings, coffee, tea, and water.
- Free time to explore Czech Village, a charming mixture of shops and businesses.
- Load motorcoach to tour Cedar Rapids area museums. Cedar Rapids Area Convention & Visitors Bureau will help you custom design a tour of local museums that is tailored to suit your group's interests.
- Head to warm and friendly overnight accommodations at the Best Western Longbranch to unwind and enjoy fine dining before heading out to experience numerous entertainment options. Cedar Rapids Area Convention & Visitors Bureau will guide you to the many evening entertainment options that await you in Cedar Rapids; including live theatre, professional symphony and sporting events.
Day 2: Amana Colonies - Riverside
Tour Time - 8 hours
- Cedar Rapids to Amana.
Drive Time - 24 minutes - 17 miles.
- Enjoy breakfast at hotel before spending day 2 in the historic Villages of the Amana Colonies. The Amana Colonies Convention & Visitors Bureau will help you make the most of your time here in the villages of the Amana Colonies.
- Meet at a heritage museum to view an informative video and load motorcoach to tour five (or six) other villages visiting historical sites and/or meeting artists and artisans of handcrafted products.
- Enjoy lunch at one of the well-known German/American family style restaurants.
- Browse in the many unique shops and galleries in the village of Amana.
- Amana to Riverside.
Drive Time - 46 minutes - 35 miles.
- Spend the evening at Riverside Casino & Golf Resort enjoying casino amenities including live, nationally touring entertainment.
Day 3: Kalona
Tour Time - 7 hours
- Breakfast at Riverside Resort.
- Riverside to Kalona.
Drive Time - 16 minutes - 10 miles.
- Guided tour of the area features demonstrations at local shops, Kalona Historical Village and a home-cooked meal served in an Amish-Mennonite home.
- Take an "insiders" view of Amish life. Travel the scenic back roads with our guides and discover the world of the Amish who continue to flow with the seasons and live the simple, wholesome lives of our great grandparents. You'll see their homes, schools, farms and beautifully manicured gardens as you pass by. The tour may include a visit to: Amish Farmers Markets, a local Cheese Factory, and Amish Country Stores.
- Home-cooked meal served in an Amish-Mennonite home.